Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tailor made tales of Taylors and Taylers


The Mr H Martyn Print by Tayler, A Chevallier or is it A Cevallier Tayler featured at the sharp end of the last post got me into a little bit of trouble. As you do I still had its image on the phone. We were in London en route to the Picasso & Modern British Art Exhibition at Tate Britain. We passed a shop that had similar prints hanging up in the window. I decided to go in and ask about the print. A mistake. On showing the proprietor the image she launched into a tirade about people like me coming in expecting information from such a poor reproduction. I turned to go. She asked me to listen to what she had to say. She said 'My father... .' Once I established that she wasn't saying that he had recently died, which could have served as the reason for her acting the way she was, I turned again. After all this was London, and she was behaving like a Dick. I heard her say 'I know I'm a Wicked Witch... .' 'You said it', was all I wanted to share with her.

The internet tells me that it a Chromolithograph and if I wanted to buy one it would cost me about £90. By all accounts Mr H Martyn was the sort of wicket keeper who you would travel miles to watch. Like Knotty keeping out Bob Taylor for many games, Mr Martyn was prevented from playing for England by Lilley. Not the Lillee who was caught by Willey bowled Dilley. Bob Taylor hosted our trip to Brisbane and Adelaide for the 2010/11 Ashes Tour. Like Mr H Martyn with Bob Taylor there 'was no fuss, everything was done neatly and with the movements of a master.' I'm not just talking about the art of wicket keeping. Bob Taylor is the sort who would find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

No comments: