Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Pleased? I was Choughed to bits with this plaice.


From Kennack Sands (Picture 2, 1893; Picture 3, 2013) to Cadgwith armed with Ruan Minor's Leggy's pasties the good lady wife and myself accompanied by Tess the Bichon Frise set off in search of Redlegs.

The Outlaw Josey Wales went on a similar quest in the film of the same name, though he had half a side of bacon and ten pounds of beef jerky as there was no Poltesco (Picture 1) Express store round the corner for him. The Pony Express by this time had ceased operations because of the Union dispute during which he had been on picket duty for part of the time.

Could the two masted schooner being overtaken by steam power in 1893 be a ghostly Hispaniola carrying a Jim rather than a Granny Hawkins? More likely Fred Massey recorded it in watercolour as it suffered the same fate as the Fighting Temeraire half a century or so before.

If you think that's a load of diddlysquat or you feel the need for other references to Josey Wales, download 'French and Spanish Cricket for Beginners' for just over a fiver from Amazon. A Black spot on you and your Fourbears if you haven't already done so.No Black spot for Tess as unlike Josey Wales I don't take to gobbing chewy tobacco at dogs.

As you can see from the 21st Century Schizoid man pictures despite it being mid-October we were having a bit of an Indian Summer and there was no need for Long Johns. In tracking down his redlegs Josey met a Comanche a Cherokee and a Navajo. In tracking down our 'king crimsonlegs we only saw Crows. The lovely lady wife was sure that this part of the Lizard was a likely spot, but I had my reservations.

So why was I chuffed to bits? Because I caught my first fish at Kennack Sands that very evening with the beach rod that my family had bought me for Christmas. It was a small plaice, maybe a dab so it went back in. But as has been said a fish is a fish. The rig? A 2 hook flapper. The bait? A bit of the plaice that we had bought the day before at Porthleven. I can't remember any cannibalism in The Outlaw Josey Wales or in Treasure Island but I can remember tucking into a Kynance Blonde from the Cornish Chough Brewery a bit further down the Lizard. Tasty? I reckon so.

"Jamie: You can't get 'em all, Josie(sic).
Josey Wales: That's a fact.
Jamie: How come you're doing this, then?
Josey Wales: Because I ain't got nothin' better to do.
"
The Outlaw Josey Wales - 1976

"Aaarrrggghhh Jim lad"

Treasure Island - 1950

"Hic"

Sea Acres, Kennack Sands - 2013





No comments: